Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 19:45:47 -0600
Interestingly this article came across my midwifery study list before I got
it here.  The midwife who posted it made the comment that this problem is
not nearly so bad in homebirth settings, perhaps due to the fact that
midwives tend to follow up more with new moms then hospital based physicians
do.  I was shocked after my last delivery, albeit in the hospital, my CNM
called me the day after I got home to check on us, then again at one week
( she kept forgetting that I was a lact. counselor).  Again these were time
frames before my daughter would have gone for her first well child check up
(she went at two weeks).  I think that maybe some of the responsibility
should be put back on the discharging physician as to whether or not they
follow up.  And btw... do people actually stay in the hospital this long?
meaning 24 to 48 hours?  I guess from the perspective of someone who
counsels women BEFORE they deliver, I tell moms that the longer they stay in
the hospital after a normal, natural (meaning drug free) delivery the better
the chances are of the nursery staff talking them into supplementing for
whatever reason.  I also wonder what the high rate of epidurals and labor
"management" drugs have to do with this new information?  does anyone know
of any studies done on this?  I know from personal experience that out of 3
children, two born pain meds free, one not, the one born with an epidural
had horrible jaundice.

Just my 2 mls worth.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
Student Midwife
Alternative Medicine Counselor in Training
Childbirth Educator
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and