Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:53:07 +0200
Not brilliant news. After 3 days off the breast, the professor allowed the mom to bf 5 minutes each side for one meal and then hydran - the fluid to prevent dehydration for the next meal, which she did all day. At first, the baby gained 100 grams, but continued to emit liquid stools which did turn from clear to yellow. By the end of the day and after 9 days of hospitalization the prof. decided to take the baby off all food including the bm and just hydrate her with the solution. He claims that the weight gain was not due to bm but due to the IV. Claims her bm is causing the diarrhea.
The mother, needless to say, has had the whole medical staff, nurses, drs., psychologist and all and is very distraught. I encouraged her by virtue of the fact that she is there for her baby, to comfort her, even if she can't bf right now. I tried to encourage her to pump - but right now she is very down and getting discouraged. I suggested to her to keep up her supply because while baby will be on the mend it will be even more important for her to get bm, with all its good especially if she will be sensitive all along the way. But we must wait and get the diagnosis and see what tomorrow brings. Dr. IBCLC I know here says it sounds like atrophy of the villi - but as illogical as some of these facts seem to me, I can just support her and wait with her to hear some good news. If nothing is improving the situation it would seem to me that a sick baby needs to be fed, as we always say. And if the baby is willing to bf, then it could only enhance her health as all else has failed thus far. But, I would not voice this to mom as it would be counterproductive and only add to her distress, so we wait and see. Thanks for your input. I will keep you posted. (BTW, she was off all dairy for over a week and it did not seem to improve.)

Ellen Shein, Tel Aviv