From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 21:36:40 -0500
Dear Brenda and Lactnetters,

I have a few thoughts on the issue of the
unsupportive employer, some are long term
solutions and others more short term.
First, the short term solutions that
can be applied immediately.
1. I agree with the others who suggested getting
a letter from the mother's physician or the
baby's pedictrician regarding the importance of
breastfeeding for this baby.

2. Perhaps a letter from a lawyer (legal aid may
be able to help if the cost of a lawyer is
prohibitive.) THis letter would focus on the
legal issues such as discrimination, etc. I
do not have a legal background, but perhaps Liz
Baldwin, or another Lactnetter with experience
could offer some suggestions in this area.

3. What are the child care arrangements for the
baby? If the child is cared for near the
workplace, would it be possible for the mother
to go to nurse the baby during her breaks? Would
it be possible for the provider to bring the
baby to Mom? Obviously, this only works if there
is only one child in her care. Can you help
her find child care close to the workplace?

4. The problem of getting basic rights for
unskilled  workers is not new. That's why unions
were formed. Is there a union that represents
the Walmart workers? Even if this Mom is not yet
in the union, this issue should be brough to
their attention. They may have had other similar
complaints and may be able to help.

5. What is the job market like in your area? If
there is low unemployment,then it may be worth
it for Walmart to support this Mom because there
aren't too many others out there looking for
jobs. Can this Mom look for another job at a
place that is more family friendly? If there is
high unemployment, then clearly it will be much
more difficult to use economic arguments.

6. One could also try a campaign of negative
publicity about the company. This is not the
first time we have heard about this company
on Lactnet. Boycotts and media coverage (letters
to the editor, articles about their terrible
work/family policies etc.can be very powerful
tools,however they take time and organization,so
this may help in the long run, but will probably
not help this particular Mom.

Of course none of this can be attempted without
the Mom's consent. It sounds like she has a lot
on her mind right now and the political aspects
of this are of greater interests to us. Putting
food on the table (and, indeed, having a table
and a roof over her head) are much more
important.
What would I do in this situation? Support
this Mom in any way possible. Facilitate her
getting the support she needs (letter from
doctors, lawyers) and help give her the
information and the space to make the best
choices she can for herself and her baby.

If there is still energy left over, and one
can do so with her permission or without
compromising confidentiality, I might contact
the newspaper and the union. I would also
encourage this Mom to tell her story to Rep.
Mahoney, but only if she has the energy to do
so.

Good luck and do keep us posted on how she is
doing.

Naomi Bar-Yam PhD
P.S. Another thought just occured to me. Is ther
a state office responsible for cases like this.
Again, it might be worth contacting a lawyer to
find out jsut what kind of "case like this" we're
talking about.
  Naomi