From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:23:48 -0500
I looked back over this last month. This is not scientific because our

bf rate is only about 40-50%, so I do not know what the situation would

be for the mothers who did not choose to initiate bf. But I had 3

mothers out of 43 who wished to bf (7 percent) whom I had identified in

my notes to myself to have breast hypoplasia, usually described by me in

various ways such as very wide-spaced breasts, tubular, conical, marked

breast assymetry, flaccid, increased striae. In all cases, the milk

production was insufficient.

The first mother was bf and came in for followup on day 4. She had just

recently begun supplementing because the baby had no poops and very

little urine output. (Many moms with these findings tell me the baby did

not poo since hospital discharge). The usual bf techniques had been

tried, i.e. feed very very often.

The second mother was excl bf and on day 4 at the clinic visit the baby

had 14 % wt loss and decreased urine and stool output. Supplementation

and strategies to increase milk production were instituted. We followed

mother til day 9 and she continued to have low milk production, she

agreed to a plan she was happy with (declined lactation aid).

The 3rd mother was described in a prior post, that mother decided, in

consultation with me, to begin bottle feeding formula prior to 24 hrs,

while expressing to try to stimulate her milk production. Of course we

discuss galactagogues, appropriate pumps, etc. She also declined lact.

aid.

So I again have to wonder, should we begin supplementing these babies

early? Should we share our strong suspicions (however tactfully) that

the mother will experience a lower than usual milk production? Are the

babies suffering unnecessarily? (These moms tell me the baby cried all

nite and was very very gassy).

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC

Mississippi USA

Smart Medicine. Inspired Care. And the awards to prove it.

Recognized as a Top 50 Healthcare Network.

To learn about other recognition and awards Baptist has earned,
visit:

http://www.bmhcc.org/aboutus/awards/index.asp

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally
privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted
to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the
express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the
error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete
it immediately.