From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:29:38 -0500
Brenda asked for a idea sharing of techniques we use in our breastfeeding
classes.  I wish it were possible, time wise and distance wise, to sit in
on each other's classes.  We don't have to teach the same, but sometimes we
do get stale!!! On cold winter evenings I really don't look forward to
heading out for the night, but always come home from a class enthused about
the sharing that takes place!!

One "try this" I like to share with my couples ( I get about 75% of my dads
attending my prenatal class) is during the section about positioning.  I
ask all the class members to look over their shoulder and open and shut
their mouths and swallow, then look up, open shut and swallow, then put
their chins on their chest  open shut and swallow, look straight ahead open
shut  and swallow.  I then ask what position felt the most comfortable.
How could this be applied to how they bring the baby to the breast?
Together we talk about facing directly, bulls-eyeing the nipple so the baby
does not have to crane his/her neck, or have head falling on chest.  Seem
real concrete to them, and together with the popular sandwich analogy,
makes the parents have a good mental picture of latching on and
positioning.  When their babies are born, they have info in  hand already
to help troubleshoot if things aren't going as smoothly as they had hoped.

Looking forward to hearing other favorites!

Karen Foard, IBCLC, in State College, PA