From:
Glenn Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:17:02 -0700
My thoughts on the issue of "aspiration of cup feeding" (there was a thread on this months ago, with a speech pathologist who was very worried about the effects on babies, saying they couldn't possible cupfeed, they weren't developmentally ready, and were very susceptible to scarring of their lungs due to the related aspiration).

Babies can and do aspirate anything when they are trying to swallow and breathe at the same time.  I have seen babies choking (not just gagging) on regurgitated mucous and stomach fluids, as well as regurgitated formula, and regurg. breastmilk.  I have seen them choke at breast, at bottle, at cup, at teaspoon and on syringe.

Whatever form a feeding is presented in, on, at, the person doing the feeding must be watchful and careful to feed the baby correctly -- in cup feeding, this means you do not pour the milk into the baby's mouth.  You rest the lip of the cup against baby's lip, tipping it enough to let the fluid touch the lip, and let the baby either lap, or sip.  If the baby is screaming bloody murder, you do not try to cup feed at that moment, but soothe it, perhaps let it suck on your (or mom's finger), and then when baby is calmed, again present the cup.

Of all of the substances that could  be aspirated, breast milk is far less noxious to babies' lungs than their stomach acids or formula would be.

Sincerely, Chanita, San Francisco