From:
"R. Bacon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:08:10 -0500
Fiona, I hope you know that you have given this woman the best
help that you could give and it is up to her to decide whether she
wants more of your time.  I am sure many of us have 'been there'.
It can be frustrating at times.

We do the best that we can to help and then it is up to the mother
to decide what she will do next.  If I do not hear back from a client
after I have left her two messages I make a point of speaking with
her doctor, explaining what we have done and leaving the follow up
to him/her.

Of my last ten clients (I visit them in their homes),  I saw one mother
three times, three mothers twice and six I saw only once. I try to
be available to them as they need me but if they do not call me back
(and one did not out of the ten), I have to let go.

>> But the interest seems not to be there<<   That says it all.

I think I used to take it personally when I first started in private practice
(1988)  but I've since learned that not everyone is as committed I am.

Ruth Bacon   IBCLC   Thornhill Ontario