Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:06:04 -0700
Who will ever fund the studies -- Be it herbals or CST?

I agree that utilizing meds/herbs/CST puts a provider in a difficult position, especially when they have been trained in Western Medicine and devoted to evidence-based practice, as I have.
As a licensed nurse practitioner, I am always wondering what I would tell a judge/jury about why I recommended/ prescribed a certain drug/herb/treatment, when there were no double-blinded randomized controlled trials to back me up.

That said, I believe that sometimes, through the trial and error/wisdom of trusted colleagues, and our own personal experiences, we must move beyond our evidence-based knowledge to enable us to make judicious, individualized, recommendations for our clients.

There are so many examples of this in Medicine: as an OB nurse, the first ones that come to mind are terbutaline and Mag Sulfate for preterm labor. Both off-label, but used extensively because 'they work'.

I asked Dr Ghaheri (an ENT in Portland OR who performs laser frenotomies) how he justifies his recommendation forCST to his clients when it isn't a proven treatment for certain sucking problems: he simply said " because it works" .

Enough said

Melinda Harris Moulton ARNP
Olympia WA

Sent from my iPad