From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:11:22 +0100
Just re-read my previous post and feel the need to add a few things.  One, I
am under no illusion that Medela funds research from pure, philanthropic
motives.  Two, I don't lump them in the same category as formula or drug
companies, nor in the category of companies who blatantly disregard the WHO
code in marketing their infant feeding 'aids', but neither do I consider
them part of the public health system.
Thirdly, a young mother of my acquaintance gave birth to twins at 30 weeks
gestation.  She had virtually every statistical risk factor in the book for
early weaning EXCEPT that her mother breastfed her and has always been a
very visible supporter of breastfeeding.  To top it off she had pump phobia,
and couldn't bear the sight or sound of an electric pump while in the
hospital, nor could she imagine applying a manual pump to her breasts
initially.  Hand expression suited her fine, and she brought in a full
supply for her babies so that they were able to grow and thrive on her milk
alone from about day four, until they were able to feed at her breast nearly
two months later.  They got supplemental donor milk until her supply was
adequate.  She did switch over to using a manual pump after about a month,
and she was freezing surplus milk for weeks before they came home from the
hospital.  She continued to exclusively breastfeed them until they were over
four months old.  I recount this story to inspire those working in settings
where pumps are not as available, or with mothers who just don't like
suckling machines, that they can let these mothers know it need not be an
obstacle to their providing milk for their babies.

Rachel Myr
Ready to go sit by the fire now and listen to the radio in Kristiansand,
Norway