Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2013 22:53:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Dear Lactnet friends,

I would appreciate some help. I am away from my references and am not having much luck on the internet, given the limited amount the on-line bookstores show of the inside of the BF textbooks and other references. I wonder if anyone can help me with a citation, page # etc. 

I seem to remember that prolactin builds to a high level during pregnancy, but progesterone holds the action in check by preventing the formation of binding sites till placental hormones leave the system. I also remember that prolactin levels plummet very quickly after birth and that each suckling activity stimulates a temporary high surge, which helps to create more binding sites in the breast. 

I am uncertain about the next part, but I vaguely remember reading it somewhere and would like the reference to cite. That part I am looking for is that more frequent suckling activity to create more surges in prolactin in the first few days results in bringing on lactogenesis II somewhat earlier, say closer to 30 hours than 40 hours. I remember a JHL article telling of Ghanian (I think) mothers whose mature milk came in at 6 hours, though no information was given about how often they nursed or about hormone levels.

If I am doing "wishful thinking", or if I am even halfway right about it, or all wrong about it, my curiosity wants to know for sure. Thanks for any quotations/references.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC       Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2