From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:40:05 -0400
I too am fighting  a current struggle with questions regarding newborn
hypoglycemia.  We have new twist courtesy of a new nurse manager.

She contends that colostrum - being mostly protein and basically  no
carbohydrate - is not appropriate  to treat hypoglycemia as protein
takes longer to break down into glucose, the byproduct needed by the
infant brain to prevent damage from hypoglycemia and therefore formula -
which contains both protein and carbohydrate - is more appropriate.

 Biochemistry is not a strength with me.  In answering please address
the speed and mechanism  with which  colostrum and proprietary formula
(in equal volumes theoretically) can be converted to glucose by the
infant's metabolic processes.  That is my particular weak link in
presenting a reasoned response to her very real concern.

My deepest thanks, I'm feeling quite stupid about this.  I have pulled
recent articles and done reading but something is not quite sinking in
these grey cells.

Carla