Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 19:39:13 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Susan and All, I am a bit behind reading Lactnet so may have missed something but wanted to add my 2 cents about nipple shields. I use them more often than I would like because hardly any babies come out of the hospitals here without having had bottles and then when the mom's landscape changes (breasts fill with milk) the babies quit latching. Fiercely. Also, we have so many premies! I have seen a mom who was given a nipple shield that was too big (by someone else!), and it didn't "work" well at all! I've recently had a mom come in to the clinic with a nipple shield she got for herself and her nipple would not go into the nipple tunnel(?) cone(?)! So the baby was chomping at the thing and pinching mom's nipples. Sigh.... I think it must fit the mother without squeezing the nipple. Just like we tell moms for the nipple tunnel and flange or shield of the breast pump, the appliance should fit without pinching or compressing, which doesn't let the milk out.
 Sort of like turning on the garden hose, standing on it and wondering why the water won't flow. I know some people still try to issue the nipple shields based on the size of the baby, but that really doesn't help. Just my two cents. Rowena Tucker IBCLC, Bryan, Texas, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2