From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 2015 15:37:40 -0600
That reminds me of an article that came out about adoptive breastfeeding, a decade or so ago.  It was written by someone who had not breastfed, which is obviously true of the author of this.

I had to use the Lact-Aid to supplement my milk supply, with all my babies, but I still got more sleep than with my first two, who were primarily bottle fed.  One of the reasons for that, which people often don't mention, is that babies who get no breast milk are much more likely to be sick, and are usually sicker for a longer time than babies who do get breast milk.  Having a baby who is miserable with a snotty nose, cough, ear infection, etc., usually means that no one gets much sleep!

If a one month old baby needs to feed every hour, that would signify some kind of problem.  I had one I had to feed that often, at 6-7 months old, but she was 9 pounds, at six months, which was when I got her.  She also had a very small stomach, due to CDH, and a sensitive gag reflex.    But, to suggest that a healthy, normal baby needs to feed every hour sounds like the author is trying to talk moms out of breastfeeding.  Perhaps she, herself, had tried and failed.  It's easy to understand why that would make someone uncomfortable about it, but very hard to understand why she would be writing an article on the topic.