From:
Sima Leah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 20:22:22 -0400
OK.  Dumb subject name; but i don't know how to title it otherwise.  With
permission, this mother is the second one i've seen that I can't figure out the
pain  - first woman didn't come back after I sent her to a doctor to check for
tight frenulum.
this is this mom's baby number two.  first baby she managed to nurse for two
months thinking all the time it would eventually get better.  But here we are,
two weeks after her second birth, and she dreads each session.  Prays the
baby will sleep a little longer.
The latch looks great.  When the baby releases the breast, nipple looks the
same. She describes the pain as like he's biting with a mouth full of teeth, and
cutting through her skin.  there are superficial cuts, but not larger -  and I
couldn't see much of the skin as she's using gentian violet, hoping it's yeast.
She has tried APNO, but not getting consistent results - some days it feels
like it's getting better, but then it gets bad again.
Birth was great - she stayed home almost until it was time to push, got to the
hospital and pushed the baby out in minutes.  Cute baby with dimples; head,
face, mouth looks symmetric.  Tongue movement looks ok, although he's not
taking in a great amount at a feed; he's 8 lbs and on three test feeds he
takes around 2 oz every 2-3 hours.  doesn't seem like a lot.  Maybe we missed
a tongue tie, but his tongue looks fine to me.  nipples look fine after nursing,
and the cuts are in the center, not underneath the nipple or at the base.
Mother has expressed finally, that she does have sensative skin - can't wax,
get facials, strong soaps...
She really wants to breastfeed, but is not going to last much longer.  I sure
wouldn't.