From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 11:11:11 +0800
>For this doosey go to
>http://www.smh.com.au/news/0105/14/national/national18.html
>
>The conclusion is
>"Giving new mothers advice about how to help their children sleep
>through the night clearly helps a lot, so let's do more of it,"
>
>Karleen Gribble

This was featured on national TV news programs last night. The
'researcher' looked very young to me and was talking about sleep
deprivation and depression being related but there didn't seem to be
great conviction with the 'solution'. Then a bit about getting babies
to sleep 'through the night' and then... a mum with twins (who also
happens to be a NMAA counsellor, but they didn't mention that) with
her gorgeous, active babies, talking about how she didn't believe in
'controlled crying' methods and attended her babies at night. She
said that babies have no way of meeting their own needs and so need
their parents - or something like that. She was great! She came
across as an experienced mother who knew what she was talking about.
To me (maybe I am biased as well ;-), she appeared as the 'expert',
rather than the researcher!

Joy