From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:49:24 -0400

Just got back from ILCA and am working on a new case sent to me by email.
Can any of you who work in the NICU give me some guidance here?  I have been
unable to get detailed info yet, but the basic question is, what is the
standard of care for post operative feedings for a breastfed baby?  Baby had
part of bowel removed.  Plan is to start with Pedilyte, then pedilyte plus
breastmilk and then exclusive breastmilk.  Is this pretty standard
treatment?  I know for adults you get nothing, then clear fluids, then soft
foods and back to a normal diet as tolerated.  I know that most institutions
do not consider breastmilk to be a clear fluid.  Mom would like to go
directly to breastmilk from IV.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

BTW, both the LLLI and ILCA conferences were wonderful.  Had a great time
and enjoyed talking with many of the folks from Lactnet.  Hope that you all
had a nice and safe trip home.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BS, IBCLC
Newark, New York