From:
"Susan E. Burger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 13:58:42 -0400

Date:    Mon, 7 May 2001 10:05:11 -0700
From:    Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Epidurals and interventions (long)

A question to all of you:  Do you know of any hospital currently
giving the mom/partner a questionnaire to fill out as to what they
thought of their labor/delivery experience at their facility?

Yes, I delivered at St. Lukes/Roosevelt hospital in Manhattan.  They did
send a very comprehensive questionnaire to me about my labor/delivery
experience.  Had they sent it later (after seeing an IBCLC, discussions
with my pediatrician and my study to become an IBCLC), I would have been
able to respond more fully about how the experience influenced my
breastfeeding.

Their childbirth educator for the in-hospital birthing center did provide
information about the risks of epidurals.  Its been over 2 years so I'm not
sure whether or not she specifically mentioned anything about the influence
on breastfeeding - but I think she did.

I did end up with an epidural and a C-section despite starting out in the
birthing center. My son was 8 lb 9 oz and I'm only 5 feet tall. While he
might have made it out of the birth canal in a normal position, his head
was sideways, ear coming out first. After camel back contractions and 27
hours of hard back labor and the positive interactions in the birthing
center and with my obstetrician I feel confident that I would be able to
deliver without medication in the future barring a true medical need for a
C-section. I do have to say that the Bradley Method birthing class
instructor provided a great service by including a session on how to make
judgements about whether or not C-sections are really necessary.  I was one
of the very low percentage of C-sections among her graduates.

My son did latch on immediately after delivery. We were only separated for
a little over an hour and I was able to keep him in the room with me.
Unfortunately, the postpartum support was not as good as the labor and
delivery support. My impression was that the nurses were completely
overwhelmed with too many patients.

So, I guess I feel that hospital labor experiences do not have to be bad! I
don't know if St Luke's Roosevelt still sends out the questionnaire. I
delivered two years ago.

Susan Burger, PhD, MHS