From:
Ros Escott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:16:45 +0000
> My thoughts are:  Take baby off this med bc it doesn't sound to me
> as if it is the right med in the first place!  If parents were not
> bothered by the vomitting (or was it really just a lot of spitting
> up, there is a difference), then why are they treating the baby for
> reflux (with a med that is NOT for reflux)?

While the above is probably a shorthand way of saying "tell the
mother to take the baby back to the pediatrician to discuss this
medication", it does read like an LC advising a mother to not use a
prescribed medication.  This is way outside our standards of
practice and is the sort of thing that can (and does) give the
profession a bad name with MDs - particularly when advocated in a
public forum like this.

It is just possible that the baby has another medical problem for
which this med has been prescribed, and the mother is confused or
did not pass on this information. Whatever, this is outside the LC
established parameters of professional practice.

Ros Escott BAppSc IBCLC
Tasmania, Australia