From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:31:14 +0200
Lynn Shea wrote:
"I had a rather unpleasant conversation with a neonatologist of an area
level 2 nsy who became very indignant about my question of her
recommendation to all of "her low birth wt. discharges" ie. under five
pounds and irrespective of their degree of prematurity, to "only breast feed
once or twice per day until term". She doesn't want them breastfed any more
frequently because not only is it "more work"  but "this study shows that
they won't grow properly".

True, if premature babies are only breastfed once or twice a day until term,
they won't grow properly!  But I guess that wasn't what she meant.  How sad
that this person seems to be unaware of Paula Meier's work showing that
breastfeeding (feeding at the breast) is less burdensome physiologically
than bottle feeding.  Even if you don't see eye to eye on the need for
calorie supplementation, there is good evidence for the ease of
breastfeeding in Meier's work.  If you search the archives for her name it
shouldn't take long to come up with the reference, and probably someone less
cluttered than I am will post it today as well (eternal optimist speaking
now).
If this doc's cut-off line for concern is 5 pounds, she will be one very
busy neonatologist.  Hope that isn't part of her motivation either.
Just had a horrible thought- the 'more work' she is referring to in
connection with BF, this wouldn't be the STAFF's workload, by any chance?
cheers
Rachel Myr
Norway