Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:05:21 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (66 lines)
Dear all:

My handout on attachment has a whole section on every conceievable angle for holds.  
Bascially, I hardly use that part of my handout because the Rebecca Glover style 
attachment is a refinement of what I was initially taught, which is:

1) The nipple needs to go up to the roof of the mouth.
2) Counter pressure directly opposite the chin can lock the lower lip in place so it doesn't 
slide up.
3) Some babies also need support under the lower lip to grasp the breast.

Rebecca Glover doesn't cover the sandwich in her DVD, but I use it occaissionally with 
babies that slip and slide, often on the third or fourth day or with moms that have very 
full breasts and babies.

These principals can be applied to ANY position and I have tried them all.  So, I don't 
focus on C or U, but applying counter pressure or support where it will be useful.  I 
actually focus on the phrase "PARALLEL to the baby's lips".  That works as a guide in any 
position.

In terms of the C-hold, I find the vast majority of mothers do the "chicken wing".  Their 
neck muscles are clenched on that side, so their shoulder ends up in their neck and the 
elbow juts out in an uncomfortable angle.  I demonstrate this in class for the partners and 
tell them about massaging tense body parts.  I like the arm to hand down naturally.  

In terms of the U-hold, I find some mothers cannot twist their hands and fingers in a way 
that is comfortable.  It dawned on me after my dh broke his wrist showing our son how to 
stakeboard (no comment on a 59 year old male thinking he could do this) that I have 
extremely flexible wrists and I have started to notice not all women can twist their wrist 
in the same manner that I can.  So, there are three nice modifications I've discovered 
from watching what women do.  

1) The knuckle wedge:  Three knuckles pressing near the nipple to tilt it up to the roof of 
babies mouth with the longest middle knuckle directly opposite the chin.

2) The three fingered wedge:  The same as above using three fingers - middle finger 
opposite the chin.

3) The flying V (don't know why I call it that):  The fingers underneath the breast and the 
thumb tip pressing directly opposite the chin.

I have also found that I need to use the sandwich less (except with really elastic breasts 
and very slippery babies) as I have paid more attention to what I call the "original 
swaddle".  I started noticing this after watching Rebecca Glover's movie a zillion times. 
Instead of rolling the baby "up to the breast" the way she does.  I start at the bottom end 
first.  Plastering EVERY bit of the baby against mom.  I don't even allow a quarter inch 
gap.  If the baby is across mom's body, I make sure that the baby's chest is fully touching 
mom's chest, usually with the baby's nipple in between her breasts.  Neck fully extended.  
Then and only then do I have mom's line the nose up with the nipple.  If the nose is at the 
nipple and the baby's chin is in the chest, baby can't open.  Finally, if a mom has medium 
to large size breasts, I even ensure that the baby's neck is resting on the breast.  I swear 
that this alone can sometimes open a baby's mouth into that wide gap without any further 
stimulation and turn the purple faced flailing baraccuda baby into a lamb.   Moreover, in 
most cases, the baby doesn't need much support under the chin.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2