From:
Angela Horn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 00:33:31 EST

In a message dated 2/1/2007 6:28:37 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

A Ross  Rep once said to me, "A
breastfeeding mom is our best  friend.   Because if we can get her to
supplement
with our product even one   time, we have her."   You see, a bottle feeding
mom
will  readily  change formula companies, and switch to cow's milk ASAP.   But
breastfeeding mom really is concerned about her babu's  nutrition, and if she

thinks that the formula she is given in the  hospital is the BEST one for her

baby, chosen specifically by her  pediatrician, she is hooked.  And if she
is
convinced one way  or the other that she doesn't have enough milk -- she'll
choose the  formula given to her in the hospital.

On a similar note they target breastfeeding moms with formula  samples, while
those who fill out surveys that indicate they'll be formula  feeding get
coupons for dollars off.

When I was pregnant almost 3 years  ago I filled out surveys in my married
name with my home address and in my  maiden name using my parent's address.  I
indicated to the same companies  on one form that I was breastfeeding only, and
on the other formula feeding  only.

Just a few short weeks before my estimated due date the formula  started
rolling in at the "breastfeeding only" address.  Again at 4  weeks past my EDD
another round of formula showed up at the door.   Why?  Well for that 6 week
growth spurt that so many moms mistake for "not  enough milk" or "my milk isn't
satisfying my baby" of course.

The formula companies know what works, they wouldn't waste product  they
could otherwise sell if it didn't.

So what harm can a pen do?  Well take that pen and put it in  your pocket
then round on a new mom and try to teach her about all the benefits  of
breastfeeding while charting and making notes.  Don't think she  doesn't notice, she
does.  Or walk in with that formula logo on the pin  that holds your ID badge.
She notices.

Then when she's frustrated, feeling like she "can't do this  anymore" and
there's that sample can of formula that came in her "breastfeeding  support" bag
that she got at the hospital you better bet your bottom dollar that  she'll
remember that pen, or that ID Pin that held your badge in place.   You were
advertising for them, endorsing the use of their product even, so  while she knows
breastfeeding is best, you must also think that particular brand  of formula
is "good enough" to get her through this tough spot.

Let's  take it one more step.  That bottle was so easy, baby seemed to handle
that  formula just fine.  Soon baby is liking the bottle more than the breast
and  well, since you were endorsing that formula it must be just fine for her
baby  and she allows breastfeeding to fall by the wayside or baby develops a
preference for a bottle and refuses the breast.  Now what harm did that one
little pen have on your ability to support a woman in being successful at
breastfeeding?

Just one little pen sends a message.  Those women are  hearing it loud and
clear and those formula companies are laughing at us all the  way to the bank.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Angela  Horn CD(DONA), CBC, CCCE, CPD
Certified Doula
Certified Breastfeeding  Counselor
Certified Childbirth Educator
Certified Postpartum  Doula
Birth Photographer

There are two primary choices in life:
to  accept conditions as they exist, or to accept the responsibility for
changing  them.
~Denis Waitley~

*IF*
elective cesareans are  as safe as vaginal birth then that should tell you
something about the way  vaginal birth is managed in many hospitals today.