From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:35:39 -0500
Hi Heather,

I also have seen quite a few babies with less-than-adequate(as presently
defined} stooling, who were fine with weight gain and overall, had no real
problem. But just about all who were having problems with weight gain or
other measures of intake, were also showing less than optimal stooling. It
may not be perfect, but it seems to be a good tool, at least for initial
evaluation, and it is one that parents can use.  There are, of course, many
indicators that LCs should be using, but I would hate for anyone to suddenly
think that pees and poops are of no value, especially if it is someone who
is doing a lot of phone or email counseling and is depending on mother
evaluated indicators.

Sharon Knorr
IBCLC, NY, USA