Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:30:02 -0500
Dear Kelly,

I think you have a real problem.  If your partner cannot see why advertising
for formula companies is a problem, I believe you should find another
partner.  I realize this is a pain in the neck, but it is not you who is the
fanatic.  It is she.  It is she who believes that advertising has no effect,
which is patently untrue.

Look at the ads in that booklet carefully.  When do you see the baby crying?
Right, when they are talking about breastfeeding.  When do they talk about
sleepless nights?  Right, when they are talking about breastfeeding.  When
do they show a happy alert, Chinese baby, with the caption, about teaching
him math formulas (cute, right?)?  Right, under formula feeding.  Why a
Chinese baby?  Probably because no other group has been so influenced by the
information that breastfed babies have better cognitive development.

If you must do something about showing pictures like that, tear them out of
the book, and paste them on the walls.  The parents to be can see the
pictures of the fetuses (feti?) and not see any ads.

Someone has to take a stand.  If childbirth educators don't do it, who will?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC