From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:11:07 -0400
> It is interesting to see a written policy with a yearly value listed. Where
> does a gift cross the line into pressure of some kind? My personal thoughts
> are that if they are totally unsolicited, are small thank you gifts like
> food or flowers or some personal item, aren't given until after work with
> the client is completed, aren't from corporate sources that hope to get
> future "good will" and financial gain through us, then it should be ok.
> Patients need to know that they don't have to buy special treatment, and I
> think most LC's and nurses would never expect or accept anything offered in
> that way. Company lunches and conferences are a whole different matter, and
> I believe they should be handled separately from private tokens of
> appreciation.

It's interesting how, as in many areas, policy needs to be designed to
protect people from heartless practices of profit-makers. As a result,
the heartfelt expressions of individuals who aren't trying to buy
anything or obtain anything are questioned. It's unfortunate that gifts
need to be viewed as trojan horses because of the behaviour of a few
non-breastfeeding fanatics, when we should be able to build our
practices on the needs of breastfeeding mothers.

The guidelines here are sensible and have the advantage of making
important distinctions about different kinds of gifts.

In designing harassment policy, in which I have some experience, it is
always tricky to word things. Here, too, gifts are given for the wrong
reason, compliments are paid for disgusting motives, etc. It would be
nice if we could simply empower women to trust their gut feelings.
However, our gut feelings are also influenced by a context in which
litigation, abuse and fear challenge our ethical perceptions. So often,
we see our actions and words taken out of context -- out of the real
reasons we do things, and what we are trying to accomplish -- and put
into the dreary picture of monetary values and political motivations
which drive the behaviour of the few.

The soapbox is free, now.:-)
Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, PhD women's studies, former chair of status of
women committees...