Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 00:06:55 EDT
As a baby in 1943, I was fed the formula that is supposedly "similar  to
lactation"  until my skin was raw and my stomach sore, at which time I  was
switched to goat's milk.  I also had some Carnation evaporated  milk and Karo
syrup.  These were so expensive and still are.  Now, I suffer with adult
onset diabetes, not well controlled with formula  company made oral medication,
so have started on sliding scale insulin, both  time-consuming and
expensive.  My 86 year old breastfed mother is visiting  me this week.  She is so
healthy with no weight problems.  She has to  wait for me to check my blood
sugars and watch my diet while she eats
anything she wants for dinner.  She is not the exception--she is  the rule!
 Her brother who was also breastfed lived to almost 90, taking no
medications and completely independent until he died.  Their youngest  brother died
at age 46 from heart disease--the lifestyle kind.  He was not  breastfed.
My mother goes to the doctor once a year for a  checkup.  I have to go
frequently.  One day I hope the formula  companies will be
 forced to pay expenses for people like me. Truly pain and  suffering.  In
the meantime, I'll keep working to make breastfeeding/breast  milk banks the
norm.

Alice Ernest IBCLC, LLLL
Simpsonville, SC