Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 22:42:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
Hi - I have been asked by a physician whether the marketed brand of hydrogel pads for moms w/sore nipples (soo--ies) is the only "safe" hydrogel dressing to be used on sore nipples.  There is another (there are many) hydrogel dressing which is made for "wounds" that comes in a 4X4 sheet, and is a hydrogel formulation of water and polyethylene oxide.  The dr. is concerned about any "residue" that might be harmful for the baby, since the marketers of soo--ies make a point of stating "non-toxic to baby, no propylene glycol, no polyoxyethylene glycol".  Call me crazy - but it seems fine to me to use either, esp. since the baby isn't going to be eating these dressings - they're just there in between.  Actually, this "doctor" is asking on her behalf - soon to deliver #2 and had horribly sore nipples with #1.  I suggested she get help with proper latch early on, so that these "wound dressings" needn't even come in the play.  But, she wants to know..........and I know that somebody out there knows - THANKS
janna in CT, CPNP, IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2