From:
"C. Keith Lorick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:10:25 -0500
Jenni,
I feel strongly that one thing we can do is help young mothers understand
about the "seasons of life."  I sometimes ask a mother to think about the
brief time period in her life when she will have infants/toddlers as a
special season unlike any other.  It is a very busy season, but it is a
time to draw back from other commitments.  I remind her that in just a few
short years, that precious infant in her arms will be a school-aged little
boy or girl.  I tell her that shortly, her infant will be walking,
exploring and beginning to become an independant little person.
On a personal level I can relate strongly to the mother who feels tied down
by motherhood, so maybe that helps a bit in my counseling.  As a young
mother of 28 I left my enjoyable and challenging career of teaching high
school English to the cream of the crop kids in an Advanced Placement
program to "just be a mommy."  I felt very tied down.
But it helps for a young mother to understand that the very fact of BEING a
mother will take her life in new, meaningful directions.  I wonder how many
of us are in this challenging profession BECAUSE we are mothers? Many
times, once a mother knows she can honestly confide her frustrations and
mixed feelings about motherhood in you, she will begin to resolve the
issues herself.
I hope this helps, and I will look forward to further discussion on this
issue.

Warmly
Glenni Lorick, BSE, IBCLC
Lima Peru