From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:30:06 EDT
Dear Folks:
     I am working with a mother and her second baby. Her first refused to
nurse; the mother pumped for two months.
     I can not find one single physical reason why this baby will not go to
breast. Baby was not injured at birth. Mom has adequate anatomy and a willing
heart. She's done remedial co-bathing; baby rooted and licked and did latch
on some (both with a shield and without in the subsequent few weeks), but
didn't sustain. Mom is doing lots of skin-to-skin. Now baby screams at the
sight of breast; baby is 8 weeks old now. Baby will be calm in bed at night,
but will not latch. Is gaining on EBM quite well. Mom's supply is adequate
via pumping.
     Mom saw another LC who made all the same recommendations as did I.
     AAARGH!!
     Mom is thinking of writing an article about her experience; she is now
dealing with the grief of not breastfeeding.
     My questions are 2: is there any listserve for mothers such as this one,
and what else can anyone suggest? I am encouraging pumping and snuggling and
skin-to-skin and being patient.
     Warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE
craniosacral therapy practitioner
Elkins Park (a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; northeastern USA)
supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative