From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2007 21:55:56 +0000
I also agree that the study group is the biggest part of the problemand this
includes the rest of the people in the equation.  Neonatologists do not
routinely feed babies or weigh them.  Neonatal nurse practitioner do not do
this either although they may have done this in the past.  In big NICU's,
the staff nurse does not often feed premies either.  "Feeders and growers"
are sent to a step-down unit until ready for discharge from the hospital.

I find that some staff nurses are not very skilled at test weights for a
number of reasons.  One reason is that they will do test weights with the
monitor cable attached and that will make for an inaccurate weight.  When a
NICU staff nurse performs the baby's daily weight, she must do it with IV
lines, chest tubes, endotracheal tubes, nasal canulas, etc all attached.
Test weights are often very inaccurate with tubings attached to the baby.  I
have found that it is more accurate to do test weights on babies that can
have the dangling tubes removed for weights.

The scales used for daily weights are not as finely calibrated as the test
weight scales.  The scales that we use to do daily weights are weighing in
10-20 gram increments instead of the 1-2 gram increments that the test
weight scale uses.

I hope that this provides some additional info for your talk, Susan.

It is finally raining here in Minneapolis.  We are several inches behind in
rain fall this year.

Have a nice day, Rachel Wahl RN IBCLC