From:
john PANZER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 17:24:41 +0000
Hi all,
The hospital I work at has started requiring physician referrals for outpatient lactation consults and billing the insurer.  The business mgr did a little homework using the lactation consultants reimbursement toolkit and believes this is feasible. Because a good chunk of insurers won't cover the consult fee, our pts sign a waiver up front that they will be responsible for the charges if the insurer kicks it back. We either register the mother or the baby depending on who writes the referral. I
document my consult notes electronically into the chart, either mother or baby. I complete a superbill and send the whole thing off to coding and billing.
Here's the problem: the coders and billers told me I can only assess/intervene/document/enter superbill codes on either the mother or the baby, depending on who is registered for the consult. This is a problem for me for all the obvious reasons....
Is there anyone out there who has a workable solution? Perhaps this means registering the mother and the baby....which would require two referrals and double the paperwork for one consult.  I would love to hear from anyone who does third party billing for lactation consults. on or off list....
thanks so much,
Kristen Panzer, MS IBCLC