From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2011 08:38:50 -0500
Laura,

I started as an LLLL who eventually had a private practice. I know my notes
were longer then. I had an office nurse tell me she enjoyed reading my
notes because she learned so much...But I've never had a physician tell me
that.

We have a new pediatrician (new to us) who offhandedly said the other day
that their EHR system was terrible, they could only see 4 patients an hour
instead of 5. This is a wonderful breastfeeding-loving practice...they are
so stressed. They are there long after office hours, a lot.

My take these days (after 15 years of writing notes in the hospital) is to
write what I see, but not editorialize or teach in the notes. If I'm
wearing my detective hat, it may have more, because I want to remind myself
and the provider why I went down the road I chose for my "assessment" - do
IBCLCs diagnose? I'm used to the medical v nursing model so I "don't
diagnose" LOL!

You might want to ask a doctor if they ever read your notes.I'd bet they
glance at it...if you're lucky.

Dawn Kersula RN, IBCLC and other initials too, very happily practicing in
Brattleboro, VT
Who once had an OB ask, "Why are there only lactation notes in this
mother's chart? Doesn't anybody else ever look at these moms?'