From:
Cherie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 12:31:44 -0700
Hi everyone-

I was giving a talk to a group of new moms in a participation class on
Infant and Child Nutrition. I would like anyone's input on a situation  I
came across...

Amanda is breastfeeding a 11 month year old boy that nurses frequently and
she does not want to stop. She has a lump in her right breast that was
discovered at 3 months postpartum. No malignant cells were found with the
aspiration biopsy but surgery (a lumpectomy) was advised ASAP as the lump is
not resolving. The surgeon demands weaning before surgery because of the
complications in the healing breast. I told her that I am fairly certain
that she could continue to breastfeed on the other breast, but that I would
ask other professionals for their input. Interestingly, the baby prefers
feeding on the "lump" breast.

I checked the archives and did not find specific information about this
regarding the weaning of the surgery side. Please help!

Thanks-Cherie Moore, SLO, California
Cuesta College Nutrition Instructor