From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 16:33:26 EDT
Rachel wrote:
"Taking cod liver oil increases the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in
 breastmilk so if mothers are hesitant to risk giving babies this ethnic
 foodstuff, they can take it themselves and still benefit their nurslings."

Flax oil is at least as good, if not a better source of omega-3's. I never recommend cod liver oil to anyone, partly b/c people here hate the taste, partly b/c I think there might well be risks and partly b/c I'm vegetarian and I know a better source (which also has been show in some research to reduce the risk of breast cancer due to the lignans in the flax). But, I do tell them about it if it seems appropriate.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA