From:
"Heitsch, Grace" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 17:44:45 -0500
I'm sorry if this has been covered... I'm having trouble with my
software and haven't read all postings... aerolar herpes sounds painful,
my sympathies... a safe Rx and preventive measure for families who
experience a lot of peri-oral herpes sores is L-lysine.  I tell adults
and adolesents to take 500 mg 2 x per day the first day they feel
tingling then 500 mg/d until the sore is gone... they involute much
faster that un-treated... then for kids (adults, etc) who get them
often, take 250 - 500 mg/day prophylacticaly when under stress.  Many
carriers are able to avoid outbreaks.  Also avoid Peanut Butter, it has
another amino acid that requires L-Lysine to metabolize (I can't
remember which) and gives the person a relative 'deficiency' of
L-Lysine.  I've also used L-lysine in younger kids 2-12 yrs in aprox 1/2
the dose.  I haven't tried it in nursing moms or babies... but it's an
amino acid, if you get too much (within reason) you'll burn it for fuel.
It does not appear to work to prevent recurrences of generalized
cutaneous herpes recurrences after severe neonatal herpes.  Hope this
helps prevent toddler afliction, and heal those who are before their
mom's get areolar lesions.

Grace Heitsch, MD, FAAP
Duluth Clinic Ashland
1625 Maple Ln.