From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 20:07:04 +0100
Well, whilst this is very true... the point I'd like to make to expand
the topic... is...  I wasn't told in ante-natal classes either.

Not one mention of the risks of formula, passed anyone's lips.

And I was in a room, where people paid to inform me of all my pregnancy,
birth and infant feeding and care choices were.  And they were being
paid to inform me on my choices, and help me make my decisions.

And not one mention, ever.   Lots of info on the risks from not
vaccinating, but not a hint of a suspicion of a risk of formula feeding.

Personally, I think this is negligence, at the Government level.  (Being
as how the Government were paying these people to sit in the room with
me, and give me Government prepared info and leaflets.  And how they had
been trained by the Government in the first place, and were following
the Government's guidelines for the classes!)

And if everyone in ante-natal classes heard it, you can bet it wouldn't
be 'unknown' for very long.

And yes, I'm still furious.  I think I'll take this fury, to the grave.
And no bad thing, that.  :-)

It's one thing not to hear about it in a childless daily life.  Quite
another not to hear about it whilst pregnant!  People often ask me how I
can bear to tell pregnant Mums etc about the risks, or talk about it
when I know there are women stuck on formula in the conversation.  The
answer is simple - I won't treat other women the way I was treated -
ignorance is not bliss.  I have more respect for other human beings than
that.  Especially Mums stuck on the stuff.  They need to know their
grief and pain that they are having to use it, acknowledged and respected!

There but for the grace of the Goddess....

Morgan Gallagher