From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:34:22 -0500
Cathy Liles wrote about the mother of a 5 month old who nurses 4-5x/day,
who is still having inflamation after a bout of mastitis.

What percentage of mothers of exclusively breastfed 5 month olds who nurse
4-5x/day *don't* have some sort of breastfeeding problem?  I'd suggest
that she double the # of nursings (at least) for starters, just to see
what happens.  Not that those need to be 40 minute sit-down meals.  I just
wonder if this isn't a very basic management issue - that perhaps her
first child demanded nursings and this one is content to wait, or perhaps
gets so much so fast that he puts it off.

I'd give the mom the "overactive let-down" LC series article and see if
she sees herself and her baby in it.  Hey, *I* can't get through the day
with only 4 or 5 food-in-mouth times, and I'm trying to *lose* a few pounds.

My .02
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY