From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jul 2005 04:47:58 +0000
I would not be at all reassured by this baby's wt gain. Going from 6#11oz to
7#14 in 5 wks is a little less than 4 oz per week. In my experience, healthy
babies gain about a pound every 2 wks. The most common scenario I see for
the baby who has lost a great deal of weight (like this one did about 10%)
is a very large catch-up wt gain in a day or two. That is provided, of
course, that the baby is receiving the appropriate volumes and calories
during those couple days.
Since you are not able to see the dyad, it would be prudent to recommend a
skillful LC to evaluate the infant's breastfeeding and the history and
physical of both; and also close f/u with the physician. The mother may very
likely need intensive stimulation of her supply at this point.
Formula supplementation, while appropriate for providing calories and volume
to the deprived infant, does not solve the breastfeeding problem nor the
milk supply problem, if there is one, and should never be recommended
without this other most important part of the care plan.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA