From:
Royce Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:44:57 -0600
Thanks to all of you that responded to my e-mail; there were many private
posts as well.

I saw the client this afternoon. I told her that we were going to start all
over and make sure we didn't miss anything and went on to ask all my normal
questions.  She stated that it hurt less today.  I had misunderstood her
about the Axid being painted on the nipple, but she did say that after he
received it she could still feel some of it.  She has also changed soaps of
late and even more importantly their washer broke down and she is now HAND
washing everything!  We discussed the inability to remove all the soap with
this practice.  There was still no evidence of pain or nipple soreness, no
TT or posterior TT, no evidence of thrush on either babe or mom.  Baby
latches eagerly and transfers milk without problems.

Her husband and daughter were in the room with us so near the end of the
consult I asked if we could go to her room so I could see how baby nursed in
the side-lying position.  While we were there I continued to ask questions
and finally I (matter of factly) asked if there was history of sexual abuse.
She immediately said, "No," so I went on to say that sometimes mom's that
have experienced abuse have a difficult time nursing, then she said, "Oh, I
was abused when I was 8 by a boy that was 14!"  Surprise, not..........
After a full discussion about that I went on to have her try baby led
latching and all went well.

Again thanks for all your help; I think we made a lot of headway during
today's visit.

What you permit, you promote

Royce Anderson
RN, IBCLC, RLC, CD (DONA)