From:
Beth Seidel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:09:54 -0400
I am venturing into new territory today and would like to pick your
collective brains.  I am a hospital based IBCLC and will have the
opportunity today to work with a young mother who survived an amniotic
fluid embolism which occured 5 days ago.   Mom has been told that the baby
will probably have CP.  She breastfed her other babies and wants to be able
to breastfeed this baby.  What will we be able to expect from this mom's
milk supply?  This mom has been critically ill since her delivery, but has
made a major improvement in the past 36 hours.  She has received 20 units
of blood in addition to plasma and platelets; she was on a vent for 4 days
and I have not even seen her list of medications yet.  I don't even know
what to expect...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Beth Seidel, IBCLC
Pekin, IL