From:
BradshawJA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:36:22 EST

<<
 Are we producing some IBCLCs who learned the trees so well that they've
 never noticed the forest?  Maybe we need a true/false "gatekeeper" section
 at the beginning of the exam covering very fundamental bfing info and
 attitudes.  Things like "The typical newborn breastfed baby needs to nurse
 about every three hours,"  with all correct responses needed for a passing
 grade.

Diane,
I agree totally.  Good test taking skills and time spent working on a post
partum unit, newborn nursery, clinic, or support groups, etc. does not a good
LC make.  We MUST upgrade the requirements for MINIMAL competency and REQUIRE
supervised clinical experience in all areas that an LC should be proficient
in.
 These supervised internships are just now being developed by BSC and others,
but they need to be MANDATORY!!!  AND I AM SHOUTING!!  I would never have been
allowed to sit for or pass my nursing boards by sitting through a few classes
with no testing of my knowledge of the material I was taught all along the
way,  and doing my own unsupervised clinical work.

Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA