From:
Lynette Blair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 17:15:11 -0400
I attended our yearly block party yesterday and had a long talk with my
neighbor who is a nurse working in inter-city schools.  Part of her job is
education of young mothers (she has 8 right now from 14 to 17).  I
volunteered to try to set up some type of presentation about (not only) the
benefits of breastfeeding, but the day-to-day real life aspects of it vs..
the inconvenience (!) of bottles and ABM.  The main problem that my neighbor
mentioned is that we both have extremely fair skin (otherwise known as
white) and some of these young mothers are hostile toward information from
us since we are "rich, privileged, and don't understand what they are
living."  Ouch!

I can get facts and figures, and I'm sure come up with a wonderful
presentation, but if my audience looks at my physical appearance and shuts
me out, then I've done nothing.  I'd really appreciate help that would
enable me to connect with Black and Latino mothers.  I was a young single
mother with my first, so I at least have that link, but more help would be
appreciated.

Regards,

Lynette