From:
Amy Orchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:47:35 -0500
Hello everyone, my name is Amy Orchard. I am a third year nursing student at
The University North Dakota, and I am interested in the use of nipple
shields. Through my study of nipple shields, I have learned that the use of
them has long been discouraged because studies from fifteen to thirty years
ago proved that they can cause nipple confusion and reduced milk transfer
(Wilson-Clay, 1996). However, Meier, Brown, Hurst, Spatz, Engstrom, Borucki,
and Krouse (2000) report that nipple shield use actually increased the
amount of milk transfer for each of the 34 premature infants they studied.
 	Also, Chertok, Schneider, and Blackburn (2006) noted that many lactation
professionals believe nipple shields are only used because the breastfeeding
woman did not have proper lactation education and guidance. According to
Wilson-Clay (1996), nipple shields should not be implemented until other
interventions have been tried. She suggests things such as repositioning,
hospital grade electric breast pumps to soften breast tissue, and offering
milk incentives at the breast. Have any of you used shields with the preterm
infants and what were the results of your experiences? Have you found using
a shield is helpful when baby is having trouble with latch or mom is very
frustrated and ready to quit breastfeeding?