From:
Gail Lombardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:48:08 -0500
I am posting this request for information for an RD who is not yet a member
of Lactnet.  She would appreciate any responses directly to her and of
course I'd be interested in responses to the listserve.  Thanks.  Her email
for responses is [log in to unmask]
"I have an ex 28 weeker now 33 weeks corrected age infant in our NICU whose
mother is severely anorexic and is breastfeeding with HMF to 24 kcal/oz.
(Mom insists on breastfeeding because it helps her lose weight!)

My question:  I am fairly confident that she is getting adequate
micronutrients while she is here and getting the HMF, but should I be
concerned about any deficiencies that the baby might get once they go home
and she is off HMF?  Does anyone have any research on anorexic mothers
breastfeeding?

Thank you in advance,
Carmen Stretch, RD"