From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:09:01 -0400
Hi,

I am an LC in Montreal and have been mostly lurking for many years as my work load does not really give me time to answer much but I have posted a couple of times when I could.

I would like to run by all of you a case of a mother I have been helping :
Baby is 9 weeks old and has gained extremely well - no problem there, but this baby screams in pain after a few minutes at the breast. This mother is an LC and is extremely experienced but also quite frazzled by her baby's pain. She has tried everything that has a link with a strong milk ejection reflex and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance (even though the baby has only the colicky part in the three symptoms linked to that syndrome) and, even though she knows her diet has little to do with this, has tried avoiding different types of food for certain periods with no results. She has not tried to avoid dairies as she says she eats very little... She stopped coffee, chocolat and almost everything else...
This baby has a reflux and, since birth, has had only 1 stool every 9 days or so. The stools are the consistency of a normal breastfed baby's. This baby screams so much and in such a manner that the doctor had an x-ray done to be sure there was no bowel torsion, etc. The doctor is now suggesting Zantac but the mother would like to try other things.
What would you suggest?

Dany Gauthier, IBCLC, RLC
Montréal, Québec