From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 21:06:11 -0500
Dr. Innis gets funding and support from formula companies.  I don't
suppose that was brought out in the article.

What she is quoted as saying in the article is technically correct,
however.  Women who breastfeed tend to be more educated that those that
don't, at least in western societies.  Nevertheless, there are
theoretical reasons for believing that breastfed babies have an
advantage.  The point is not whether or not there is proof breastfeeding
makes you smarter.  The point is that there is no proof that formula fed
babies, being fed a ver different product, are as smart as breastfed
babies.  Until that proof comes forward, and the Sheila Innis' of the
world criticize the studies in the same way as they criticize the
breastfeeding advantage studies, we should be very careful about telling
mothers that it does not matter if they breastfeed or not.

The formula companies seem to be getting out their big guns these
days--calling in their iou's and all that.  What's up?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC