From:
Kim Ann Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:24:53 EDT

Here is a chart that shows what moms and babies get on WIC depending  on
full bf, partial bf, no bf:

_http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefitsandservices/foodpkgallowances.HTM_
(http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefitsandservices/foodpkgallowances.HTM)

And I agree with what Nikki wrote:
"I am not anti-WIC, it is supposed to be a nutrition program. I really
think
the WIC program should focus on the nutrition education for  families,
healthy diets, obesity prevention and the like; give more  groceries, baby
foods perhaps at 6 months, and breastfeeding support. Perhaps  specialty
formulas for metabolic issues. But LET THE FAMILIES BUY THEIR OWN  FORMULA.
My understanding is WIC started at a time that help for dairy  farmers was
needed, so there is a focus on the milk. This has to stop in my  humble
opinion."

I think using formula should be a "bigger deal". When my son was FTT (and
at the time we didn't know why, but eventually dx cystic fibrosis) the dr
wanted  us to give him pedisure. It was $$$$! They suggested WIC  and to get
it I needed a dr. rx for it, they just didn't give it out. Maybe formula
should  be given on a medical basis from WIC.

I do wonder how WIC bf numbers will change if moms deny bf to get formula
in the first month. It would make sense to moms to say no bf to stockpile
the  formula for later. And the new bf packs are not equal to the cost of the
formula  and the moms know this.

Another thing I am trying to understand about the new full bf  WIC  package
is that the baby gets a HUGE amount of jar baby food (in addition to the
infant cereal). For a full bf baby at 6mth they start getting 3 jars of baby
food a day (veg., fruit, meat) and the cereal too. I can't imagine if  I
was to actually feed my baby that much baby food a day what would happen to my
 supply and getting my cycles back too! Even with a baby interested in food
at 6  mths it seems to me a lot of food. But I am no RD so if anyone can
help me  understand the need that would be helpful. One of our local RD at WIC
said  she thought maybe it would help those supplement with food rather
than formula  when the baby is older. Moms who either partially bf or no bf do
not get  that much baby food--- 128oz. vs 333 oz. for fully bf baby. I am
not against  them giving jar baby food but it is the amount given and how it
implies baby  needs to eat starting at 6mths 1 bowl cereal, 1 veg jar, 1
fruit jar, and 1 meat  jar a day.

Kim Ann
LLL Leader and former WIC PC