From:
William Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 00:23:28 +0000
        If you ever want to make your head spin, go and subscribe to as many
listserves that interest you, each with a different perspective. While doing
so you will find messages that you'd like to cut and paste onto other
listserves. like the following message from Neonatal-talk..........

>help. I'm currently working with a new neonatologist who seems not to be very
>breast feeding friendly.  Two issues that have lately arisen are,
>1. He starts all our premies on progestimel because he states  he's seen too
>many NEC patients when he starts them on breast milk.
>2. In our intermediate nursery, for alot of our term r/o sepsis kids or TTN
>any baby with admission hypoglycemia (or really any low d-stix one time or
>more) he tells moms they must suppliment after every feeding for at least the
>first 3-4 days because he feels that to do otherwise risks babes returning in
>a morbid state. He even was setting an amount that the babe must take of
>formula (30-40 cc post breasting)
>needless to say, our term moms are having alot of "feeding failures" at breast
>during the short time we have them because the babies don't wake up for 3-4
>hrs and when they do their putzing at the breast, then gulping formula.
>Since he's also a "cyber freak" I'm hoping to get enough input from you all at
>other facilities to work on changing some of these practices....then again,
>maybe I'm the one off base and you all are also following these practices....
>please respond via email to  [log in to unmask]  thanks.. Lisa Jones RN ,Tacoma

I thought maybe we could all give this good nurse a hand. If you have some
wise words for her please help her out.
Caroline Edwards RNC IBCLC
Discharge Planner/ Neonatal Follow-up Coordinator
Atlantic City Medical Center-NICU
1925 Pacific Ave.
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
609-441-8186