From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:57:06 -0500

Jennifer,

Could it be that you still see your son as a "baby" even though you're
growing another one?

One nursing while pregnant experience I did have which works with your
theory was that my daughter, who was not yet two when my son was born, used
to do this "flicking" thing with her tongue once I lost my milk (at around
21 weeks).  It drove me CRAZY and I needed to teach her not to do that.  As
it turned out, she knew what she was doing -- she was just using the time at
the breast to play.  Words can't describe how awful it felt -- it was
definitely more tongue-driven than the size of her mouth, though...my son is
still nursing at 2 years, 3 months right now and is much bigger than Anna
was.  I am not pregnant, so nursing him only occasionally irritates me a bit
(when I'm premenstrual, and I don't even like to use the word "irritate" but
I can't come up with another one right now).

I'm glad there is more talking about nursing while pregnant.  In my small
Army community I was about the only person I knew who had tried it, but more
have either nursed while pregnant or tandem nursed since.  It was hard to
find support because most people (doctors, especially) thought what I was
doing was harmful in the first place.  I did rely heavily on Hilary Flower's
book, and was glad it didn't paint a rosy picture of tandem nursing.  I
found it to be quite honest in its realistic depictions.

--Diana in NY