From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 19:21:18 -0400
I was teaching childbirth ed classes about the time that epidurals came on
the scene.  First you had to be in a decent size hospital, 2nd it had to be
day time and the anest couldn't be busy in OR.  Then someone made the
dollar discovery and it has been all downhill ever since.  Most hospitals
now staff all 3 shifts with anesthesiologists just for L & D.  They have to
have a lot customers to make this worthwhile.  They have found that this is
a pretty steady source of income, not involving a terrible amount of work
:-(  Now you have to admit that they would have to be nuts to admit
epidurals affect the baby!  I'm awfully grumpy tonight.  I think I need a
nap or early to bed :-)  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ