From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2013 11:30:02 -0400
In a message dated 9/14/2013 12:00:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

She is  being told her milk will not have enough vitamins and nutrients in
the long  run.They are concerned with weight gain problems in the  future.

Hello all,

Thoughts: This may be true, as children's bodies will need more than
mother's milk can provide after 6 months, that's why we have the concept of
Complimentary Feeding. That said, this baby would likely have even more issues (
 if there are any at all coming up) with formula which is a product made to
 support the basic nutritional needs of infants, not toddlers anyway. Mom's
milk  will continue to change, provide excellent base nutrition, keep many
needed  nutrients stable enough or in range enough, for good growth,
immune/gut system  support, emotional nourishment, and is not made to be suitable
for some  statistical infant of a certain age ( how formula is designed... I
forgot  what that is, 4 months maybe? forgive my memory...) IF this child
has weight  gain problems in the future, they are likely to be in spite of
continued nursing  not because of it, or not because of continued nursing, but
linked to an  inability to tolerate appropriate complementary feeds( looking
for   iron & zinc to begin with...)

. IF baby really needs some kind of supplemental nutrition then, not  being
able to handle complementary feeds, this could be focused on then.   If
baby is thriving, wouldn't it make more sense to continue on the path that is
allowing the thriving, rather than veer off to the unknown, "in case"
place,.?  Also how does weaning to a hypoallergenic formula like Alimentum tell
anyone  whether baby will have an issue with dairy or soy as food sources?
There are of  course hydrolyzed cow milk proteins in it,  but the whole point
is  it's hypoallergenic ( not non, I know)... they could also just avoid it
entirely  for now and keep baby's gut safer?

Also puzzled...
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL